***If you’ve enjoyed this episode of Elliot Roe’s A-Game Advantage, please subscribe, rate, and leave a review on iTunes to help spread the word about the show. Thanks!***
Ready To Find Your A-Game Advantage? Click Here To Download Elliot Roe’s Primed Mind App
Time Stamped Show Notes
[1:40] How Nir became interested in the subject of how technology affects our behavior.
- 1:50 – He struggled with weight issues as a child, and his interest in this area started with understanding how food controlled him, and learning how he could take back control.
- 2:45 Wrote “Hooked” with the goal of democratizing the techniques the big gaming and social media companies use to control our behavior.
[4:45] The REAL cause of distraction and lack of focus
- 5:05 – Distraction is not a new problem, social media and technology are not the root cause.
[5:58] Why don’t we do the things we know we should do?
- 6:33 – Nir’s definition of distraction.
- 7:55 – The hidden distractions that disguise themselves as productive actions.
- 9:25 – How technology amplifies our tendencies to become distracted.
[11:23] The story of a professor whose pedometer ended up consuming their life.
- 12:10 – How internal triggers are actually the biggest source of distractions
- 13:30 – How a professor ended up walking up and down the stairs for two hours straight in the middle of the night, instead of going to sleep.
- 14:18 – How even seemingly healthy actions can go too far and become distractions.
[16:30 ] The real source of workplace distraction
- 17:05 – A poor workplace culture can lead to distraction and even depression.
- 17:55 – What you can do if you are in a workplace with a poor culture.
- 20:35 – The three things that all health work environments have in common
[24:15] Nir’s next steps after becoming Indistractable
- 24:40 – Being Indistractable doesn’t mean you never become distracted, it means you understand it and can learn from it.
- 25:25 – This is the next big super power in the world, and Nir plans to spread the message far and wide.
3 Key Points
- Distraction is anything that takes you away from what you intended to do. Traction is anything the moves you closer to what you intended to do.
- The first step to mastering distractions is learning to manage internal triggers.
- Work hard and go home.